June 1 – September 22, 2019
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. – Dr. Seuss
Barbara’s Bookstore’s Book Concierge has carefully selected books on Alzheimer’s disease, dementia-related diseases, and brain health in preparation for its two-day community event to create awareness of Alzheimer’s disease and raise money for the Alzheimer’s Association’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s-Lake County on September 21 and September 22, 2019.
- Barbara’s Bookstore will donate 5% proceeds of their book sales to Alzheimer’s Association.
- Buy a book from our Arts for Alzheimer’s Summer Book Club reading list and receive a 20% coupon off on your next book purchase from the selected summer reading list.
- For every book purchased from the Summer Book Club, your name will be placed into a monthly raffle for a chance to win a specially selected prize.
Summer Reading List for ALL Ages and ALL Genres
- Dad’s Camera by Ross Watkins
- What a Beautiful Morning by Arthur Levine
- Why Did Grandma Put Her Underwear in the Refrigerator?
- An explanation of Alzheimer’s Disease for Children by Max Wallack
- What’s Happening to Grandpa? By Maria Shriver
- Sometimes Even Elephants Forget: A Story About Alzheimer’s Disease for Young Children by Kathleen Welch
- Fishing with Grandpa: A Children’s Story about Alzheimer’s by Rebecca Kenyon
- Weeds in Nana’s Garden: A Heartfelt Story of Love That Helps Explain Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias by Kathryn Harrison
- Lovely Old Lion by Julia Arma and Susan Varley
- Grandpa and Lucy by Edie Weinstein
YOUNG ADULT FICTION
- Stolen Secrets by L.B. Schulman
- Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonneblick
- The Storm Keeper’s Island by Catherine Doyle
- Just like Jackie by Lindsey Stoddard
- No Sad Songs by Frank Morelli
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- You Say Goodbye, We Say Hello: The Montessori Method for Positive Dementia Care by Tom and Karen Brenner
- All Gone: A Memoir of My Mother’s Dementia with Refreshments by Alex Witchel
- Dr. Ruth’s Guide for the Alzheimer’s Caregiver: How to Care for Your Loved One Without Getting Overwhelmed… and Without Doing it All Yourself
- Slow Dancing with a Stranger: Lost and Found in the Age of Alzheimer’s by Meryl Comer
- Green Nails and Other Acts of Rebellion by Elaine Soloway (book addresses primary progressive aphasia)
- Before I Forget by B. Smith and Dan Gasby
- 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer’s and Age-Related Memory Loss by Jean Carper
- Dancing with Elephants by Jarem Sawatasky
- Yoga for Dementia: A Guide for People with Dementia, Their Families and Caregivers by Tania Plahay
- On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer’s by Greg O’Brien
COOK BOOKS FOR BRAIN HEALTH
- Tumeric Cookbook: Discover the Health Benefits and Uses of Tumeric with 50 Delicious Recipes
- Eat to Beat Alzheimer’s by Francie Healey
- The Alzheimer’s Prevention Cookbook by Dr. Marwan Sabbagh and Beau MacMillan